Monday, December 26, 2011

Dec 23rd Grandeur Peak adventure





Aloha Friday
Some good friends of mine in SLC hike to Grandeur peak regularly with their dogs and suggested it to me. I was down town on this beautiful sunny day doing some Christmas shopping and decided to give it a go not knowing how steep and long this hike really was to the top. Roxy, Dryfus and my good friends dog Cooper and me began the journey of this dog friendly mile and a half adventure with a vertical gain of about 2500 feet. We were planning on a loop and not going to the peak due to time but as we got closer we just kept climbing and the dogs were feeling good, especially Cooper who kept urging us to keep going, for he had been there numerous times. Stopping for a snack, looking at the peak across a snowy field, I contemplated the bid for the summit. I figured we would go another ten minutes, something I said a time or two on the way up this tough ascent, yet this time I was right and we made it! 8,000 feet according to my watch, and it felt soooo good!! We met some locals and their dogs who had come up from Millcreek, a much easier and shorter climb I was told. They advised us to go back the way we came which was the harder part of the climb but twice as fast, one hour. All said and triumphed, 3 BIG hours of fun and adventure. I am still a bit sore today and still smiling. Life is good:)
Merry Christmas everyone. Peace and love...
Schwaby

No comments:

Post a Comment