Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 13th

Aloha,
A bit of a ruff start on the day heading up the Guard road with a 7 pack on a beautiful day. Charger was full of energy jumping up and over the large snowbanks until he flew over one that had a large drop off that unfortunately had a bad ending, he blew out his knee, yes my friends, dogs do blow out their knees too. It was a huge bummer and we all are wishing the best for Charger with his upcoming surgery. I still have a vivid image of his rear legs floating over the 6 foot bank like a basketball super star. Get better soon buddy!! After taking Charger to Whitepine we headed over to Pinebrook to hike on the Spring trail. Things were going quite well with everyone including our new charge Daisy who was joining us for a few days during spring break. But on the way down Daisy decided to go her own way, which by this time was post hole territory that all of us had trouble with, especially Tank, who was swimming down the hill towards the end. After flailing down post hole city trying to catch up with Daisy we finally made it to the trail! Wow, that was crazy and a relief to be done with that!! Where was Daisy though, she was no where to be seen, so we trekked down to the truck hoping that she was there, no Daisy. An hour and a half hike turned into a 3 hour tour and all the dogs were exhausted. We drove around calling Daisy and I decided to pull out the binoculars to have a look at the spot we had lost her and low and behold, there she was, back on that damn spot"Post hole city". Well at least we knew she was safe, but it was a good 25 minutes up to that spot. My wife showed up to watch the others and I hoofed it back up to find her and she eluded me once again. I followed her tracks up the same trail that we had started on and she was too sneaky for me, looping around me with out seeing her, she is a white dog and blended right in. I finally had to take a break and the others home. Coming back to the trailhead and hour or so later I started to dry my soaked socks and boots for a third go at it. Just as I was about to leave with the snow coming down Miss Daisy returned, yeah!! She was cold wet and tired but safe and sound curling up shotgun and passing out. Boy oh Boy I sure am glad that these things only happen once in a great while.



Safety tip for spring; stay on the trails and out of Post Hole city. Peace. Schwaby

No comments:

Post a Comment